Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Please Spread the word about My Sister's Closet
This is a bit lengthy, but I think it is important to get the word out, so please take the time to read. I am posting this because I want everyone to know that it seems as though My Sister’s Closet in Sanford NC is running a shady business. In August, I took 37 items to My Sister’s Closet to get consigned. The way their store is set up is they decide on a price and mark it. If it sales quickly, it sales at full price. The longer it is there, it sales for cheaper; 25%, 50% or 75% off. The store is to get 60% of the sale price and the consigner gets 40%. This seemed pretty fair to me since they were doing all the work. After your stuff is there for 90 days, your consignment is up. You can either go to pick up your clothing that has not sold or they donate it to charity. Again, it seemed like a pretty good idea. So after a month or so, I went to get the money that I had made so far. There is a web site that you can check to see what has sold and what is still available. Since I had a list of the original sale prices, I was wondering why items that sold were giving me less than 40% back. When I went into the store to ask about this, I was informed that if a customer buys any 5 or more items in the store, they get a 15% discount on their total. This is not listed in their contract or mentioned when I dropped of my clothing. So for a $10.00 item, I would be getting $3.40 instead of $4.00. This is not a big deal, but it seemed odd that of the 6 items I sold, all of them were discounted the extra 15%. What are the odds that everything of mine that sold was also sold with an additional 4 items? When I asked the store about this, I was told that she would up my commission from 40% to 50%. Why on earth would someone do this, you may ask. So did I. I was told that I had really nice stuff and she does that every once in a while for people with nice items. And she said she would probably recon sign some of the stuff if it did not sell. This is the first time I started to wonder how honest of a business they were running. I simply questioned the way she was doing it and she upped my commission. I don’t think people generally give other people more money that promised. Well, my 90 days was up the week before Thanksgiving. I called on Nov 19th to see what I needed to do about possibly recon signing. I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt even though I was a little unsure. I was told that she would go through my items and give me a call back Monday, the 23rd, to let me know which ones would be recon signed. I said that I would pick up the remaining items. Well, I never heard back from her. So yesterday, I went to the store to see what had happened since it had been almost 3 weeks since I called. When I got there, I told her my name and she apologized because she completely forgot that I called and she never went through my stuff. Fine, I said. I will go through the items in the store and pull my items out. I still had 25 items that were listed available on the web page. Since my first time picking up my money, 6 additional items had sold. These all were also marked an additional 15% off. Again, what are the odds that they were all sold with 4 other items? I spent an hour picking through every rack in their store. Of the remaining 25 items, I was able to locate 13. Where are my other 12 items? She said that someone else may have pulled them off the rack and donated them. If that is the case, why would she tell me they wouldn’t? She said that there are too many people working there to control that. Then why would she tell me she could? Every time I have gone in the store, she has been the one working. Who are all these other people that are pulling items off the shelf? When I started to get a little upset about my missing items, she offered to give me this very large garbage bag full of other people’s clothes. So even if it was all an honest mistake and my 13 items magically disappeared, how is giving me other people’s clothes going to make the situation better? Didn’t you tell all those people that you were going to donate their stuff to Charity? I bet they wouldn’t be very happy to know that you were giving them to some random person. That’s not charity. It seemed like she was trying to buy me off. She said that almost no one asks for their clothes back. I was the only one who wouldn’t donate to charity. I have no problem donating to the less fortunate. I will probably drop them off later this week to Guardian Angel. I only wanted my items back to know for sure that they did not sell. How can I know for sure that my missing items were not sold and the entire amount of money pocketed? How do I know that they were in fact donated and not given to another unhappy consigner? My Sister’s Closet omits information from their contract, ups your commission if you question they way they are running their business, somehow loses or donates your clothing without your permission, and then try to buy you off with other people’s clothes when you figure it all out. They are dishonest and possibly immoral business people. If nothing else, they have poor business ethics. PLEASE pass the word about this; she told me she has hundreds of consigners. Could one of them be you? A family member? A Friend? Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very informative!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletesome of my items have gone missing too, also at times the people working there were unfriendly.
ReplyDeleteI would like to add to this comment that I brought in two suit cases worth of stuff that I just didn't fit in anymore one day. After the girl working there judgingly went through all my clothes basically saying these weren't in style anymore and that noone would want to buy them she had the nerve to ask if I wanted to leave them there to donate. I was like ummmm no thanks, I'll just take themt to Good Will instead because I didn't trust that they weren't going to try and sell them anyways. Very shady feeling and rude empolyees there.
ReplyDeleteNew owner is a complete snob. I live in Wilmington and have family back that way. I never had an issue until new ownership. All of my clothes were always appreciatively accepted and sold within weeks. I live in Wilmington and was home for the holidays when I stopped in to donate several items from my closet. I was rudely told that my items were no longer in style and could not be consigned. While I was waiting for the ladies to go through my items I browsed the store and was VERY disappointed with the selection. It seems as though they have transitioned from a trendy upcale consignment to old fashioned and drabby. The clothes were more suited for a much older crowd from the 20's - 40's age range they use to be. I took my items back to Wilmington where the competition for consignment is thriving and every single one of my items sold within days. I would not recommend wasting your time at My Sister's Closet.
ReplyDeleteI notice that you delete every comment that doesn't mirror your own thoughts or opinions. That's pretty convenient, don't you think?
ReplyDeleteYes, I did delete a comment from a woman who said she was there and was slandering me. I will not support people bad mouthing me and lying on my own page I created. I also deleted several comments from the owner. Again, it is my blog and I am entitled to my opinion and do not need to support lies.
DeleteThe owner from your post in 2009 was not a great business woman, but please try the new owner. She is very fair. If you do want your items back before they are donated you must go back before your 90 days are up to get them yourself. As for the comment that the new owner is a snob, I have been in there during drop offs and seen some of the junk people try to sell. I would want to buy someone else's stained out dated clothes. Great for you that your clothes sold in Wilmington. Sanford's style must be different. My friends and I have found a ton of up to date clothing at great prices! We need to remember that it is a business, consigner and owner need to make money. As for my clothes when I consign, I do not take in anything that I would not donate, but other stuff they can(no time to do a yardsale). You are more than welcome to stay and collect the things they will not take.
ReplyDelete